Tennis Memphis recognizes the importance of sports and specifically tennis, to teach valuable life skills. Our coaching staff prides itself on teaching and mentoring children on the importance of sportsmanship, teamwork, positive attitude and respect. Tennis Memphis, in partnership with Great Base Tennis, offers tennis instruction and training for players of all levels, beginning at age 4. Programs include Junior Development, Tennis and Tutoring, Community Outreach programs, etc. No child is turned away due to financial circumstances. Download a form here: Tennis Memphis Financial Assistance Application
For more information, contact Arnold Thompson at (901)
596-0637 or email.
Junior Development at Tennis Memphis is divided into three categories:
- Early Childhood Development is for players ages 4-7 and their parents (exceptions may be made an on individual basis.) Students will be taught the fundamentals of tennis and ways to acquire athletic skills. An emphasis will be placed on how to practice, both at home or at the court.
- Skill Acquisition is designed for beginner to intermediate players who are still developing a strong technical base.Students will be taught technical and tactical fact-based information to progress toward playing singles and doubles. The skills taught within all groups are based on the dimensions of the court and physical laws. Classes are education based and may appear to move at a slower pace, but will give your player the opportunity to learn solid fundamentals from the beginning.
- Competitive Training (Tournament Prep) and Non-Traditional Scheduling Programs for players who have goals to compete in Division 1 college tennis and beyond. To be brilliant with the basics is the core principal of every level of training. These classes include a continuation of repetitive drills to build “brain memory.” Players continue to work to improve and refine sound fundamentals, and the finer points are constantly reviewed with great detail. The mental and emotional component of the game is emphasized, since the student is capable of competing with tactical options based on the technical foundation that has been built.
Coming Soon!! Early Childhood Development (ECD)
Skill Acquisition at Leftwich & Wolbrecht Tennis Centers
You may also download a registration form here.
- Classes meet from 4:00-6:00 pm, Monday-Friday during the SCS school year. Some classes may be weather-dependent.
- Skill Acquisition and Tournament Prep interface during this schedule.
- Tennis Memphis’ professional staff will provide fact-based instruction through the GBT curriculum to all students with an emphasis on long-term development.
- The additional component of peer teaching ensures that students maximize information retention.
- Our goal is to develop a strong technical and tactical foundation to grow your junior’s game, while providing a complete pathway for future development.
- This class is included in the After-School program hours, but provides a different focus than the Monday-Thursday classes.
- Designed with developing athletes in mind
- Includes tennis assessments such as the Tiebreaker Test, Quadrant Tournament, etc.
- Classes also include multi-sport drills, strength and speed work, and agility training and testing.
- Students who attend 4 Fridays receive a free t-shirt!
- 30 minutes of open Q & A
- Learn more about Tennis Memphis as a nonprofit, the College Pathway program, GreatBase Tennis, and more!
- Learn more about financial assistance for students.
- Open Houses are held weekly at Eldon Roark, Leftwich, and Wolbrecht Tennis Centers.
Eldon Roark, 1500 Finley Road, Memphis, TN 38116. Saturdays from 3:30-4:00 pm.
Leftwich Tennis Center, 4145 Southern Ave., Memphis, TN 38117. Saturdays from 3:30-4:00 pm.
Wolbrecht Tennis Center, 1645 Ridgeway Road, Memphis, TN 38119. Saturdays from 3:30-4:00 pm.
The following assessments are optional for the ECD, and SA levels.
Player Assessment #1 is a full-length technical evaluation. Players must schedule an appointment to have each essential stroke filmed from three different angles, complete two tests of their technical skills, and complete a goal sheet. Players will receive a personalized training video which will be sent as a private YouTube clip.
The video will have two parts: 1) slow motion with technical information, and 2) classroom presentation reviewing the prescribed changes and homework. Upon viewing the video three times, the player must email simplified notes to the instructional staff. The process documents development and assigns accountability for both the player and instructional staff. Fee: $125
Please note: Only total beginners are exempt from this process.
This service is also available for adults.
Assessment #2. The service is to capture match play on film and then provide a tactical
Assessment 1: $125
Assessment 1 & 2: $225
For more information Contact Steve Smith, or Stephen Lang.
Steve Smith has a common name, but a very uncommon background in tennis. His life’s work has been studying tennis-teaching masters and proven methodologies. He designed and directed the first comprehensive curriculum and degree plan for career-minded students seeking occupational competency as tennis-teaching pro-managers. This unique program fostered the development of similar programs around the world. Recognized as a leading educator among tennis insiders, Steve has taught in over thirty countries. He has assembled a system of instruction based on information, ideas, and insights that he has gathered over his five decades in tennis. His work can be measured by the tremendous successes of his students, both on the court and off. Steve’s mission is to help people play and teach tennis better through his “GreatBase Tennis” pathway.
To learn more about the GreatBase, click here.
Winter USTA Junior Team Tennis
Match weekends: 9/22-11/5
Divisions Available: 18u Junior Varsity
In Junior Team Tennis, players develop their match playing skills in a fun and supportive environment and benefit from the camaraderie of a team. Team formation is simple and Tennis Memphis’s Team Coordinator is available to help with the process. The program is parent-led and each team must have a captain. Practices can be arranged and led by parents or coaches. Tennis Memphis Pros charge a nominal fee to lead practices. Download our Junior Team Tennis FAQs, or contact Alyssa Ivey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Playing in tournaments with regionally and nationally ranked players is an important step in gaining the required experience and exposure necessary to reach a player’s full potential. Serious players compete in USTA tournaments with the goal of achieving State, Sectional, National rankings, and potentially a tennis college scholarship. For info contact Kent Smith at (901) 237-5677, or email@example.com.
For a list of upcoming USTA Tournaments, click here.
Since 2001, Tennis Memphis has offered quality summer camps to thousands of children in the Memphis area. As a USTA Foundation supported National Junior Tennis and Learning chapter, Tennis Memphis offers camps which strive to implement the ideals of the late Arthur Ashe by providing affordable and accessible programming with an emphasis on mentor ship, education, and tennis as a lifetime sport to children who wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity to participate.
The NJTL Tennis Summer Camps utilize the GreatBase Curriculum, which is a system of player development and tennis education based on the work of noted tennis icons such as Vic Braden, Welby van Horn, and more.
Key components of Great Base Tennis are skill testing, documentation of development, core information based on scientific principles, peer teaching, and the building of a championship culture.
Program goals for summer camp include:
- Checking the checkpoints (Knowledge)
- Take Tennis Home (Practice)
- Form Tournaments (Learning)
- Target Tournaments (Skill Acquisition)
- Athletic Achievement (Fun!)
Location: Leftwich Tennis Center
Days: Monday, Dec 18th -Thursday, Dec 21st
Time: 4:00 pm-6:00 pm
Price: $14/hour or $100 for the week
The Holiday Camp is open to all ages and levels of players looking for extra practice during the holidays.
Adults and juniors will interface while working on skill acquisition, drills, point play and fitness.
Contact Kevin Duffy for more information
Phone: (979) 229-7522 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”Arthur Ashe